Tuesday 11 June 2013

Nithya Menen Exclusive Special Interview

Nithya Menen Exclusive Special Interview


NithyaMenen talks about how she wanted to prove that a girl can carry a film on her own in an industry like Tollywood.

Nithya Menen was nowhere to be seen after the release of her last movie, Gunde Jari Gallanthayyinde. Like always, her performance in the movie got her many rave reviews from the critics, but she admittedly didn't get any congratulatory calls. "That's because not many people have my number," quips the curly-haired actress who's back from a three month-long sabbatical. "I've been working 24/7 for the last three years and needed to get away," adds Nithya who believes, "My part as an actor ends on the last working day. I think the success or failure only really matters to the producer or whoever it matters to. For me, when I finish the film, I'm done and if I'm happy, that's that."

Now that is a very zen-like attitude towards your work... (laughs) I haven't hit zen state yet. It's just the kind of person I am, I think.

Tell us about your role in the upcoming Telugu movie, Yemito Ee Maaya?
Well there isn't anything particularly unique about my character. I play a regular girl in it. It's Sharwanand's character that drives the movie. I am done shooting for it and I'm presently working on a Tamil film being directed by Sri Priya. It's a remake of a Malyalam film, 22 Female Kottayam.

You seem to be getting typecast in the 'bubbly girl' mode in Tollywood?
Yes, that typecast is there. I think they call every actress 'bubbly' most of the time! I think we just like the bubbly type. I am not really a bubbly person though. The thing is Ala Modalaindi was my first film and I played a bubbly sort of a character in it. At that point of time, I was chirpy and was young, but right now, age sort of has its effect and I've changed as a person.

You couldn't have changed so much between 21 and 25?
Not much, but a little bit for sure. I try, more than anything else, to do stuff that I connect with. The thing is, Tollywood is generally so rigid about the roles that heroes have and what heroines should do and I wanted to change that. After I did Ala Modalaindi, I wanted to prove that a girl can also carry a film on her own. The kind of filmmakers who come to me today, have some content in their movie. They don't come to me with roles that only serve ornamental value. A lot of filmmakers approach me with stories that revolve around me.

But then, aren't good stories are too few and far in between?
I think it has something to do with the kind of actor you are. If there are good actors, the writers will come up with good stories. Frankly, if there are no good actresses who can carry off a great role, what's the point of coming up with such stories, right?

You however, don't seem to land many big ticket ventures?
It's not about landing offers, but about what I choose. Because if you think an actress doesn't have a choice and takes everything that is offered, it's not true. I don't. If you are asking if I get offered 'big hero films', I do get them. But I operate from a very different space. I don't think I need to do a big ticket film to be considered a big actress. I've managed to create a space for myself due to which people see a film and say it's a Nithya Menen film. I choose what I want to do. Everyone automatically assumes that when an actress is not doing a film with a top hero, that she is not even getting those offers. They don't realise we can also choose, we can say 'no'!

So, saying 'no' seems to be working fine for you?
It is working absolutely fine. I am happy with the work I am doing. I want to work with good people and that's is more important to me than doing some big ticket film and feeling unhappy about it. I want to make some sense onscreen you know. I refused a few films that went on to do very well, but that doesn't change anything for me. I just couldn't relate to the character.

Can you name a couple of big films that you've refused?
No, I have learnt my lessons. Don't do that to me. If I can't relate to something, I just cannot take it up.

So, what is it that gives you happiness, work wise?
I recently did a Tamil film called Appa. I played a character that did not wear any makeup, dressed only in a sari. Yet the creative satisfaction I get out of saying a beautiful line or a dialogue, portraying a character with depth on screen is what brings me happiness as an actor. I want to do that. I am happy when I can express myself creatively and that's what I love most about cinema.

Are you so assured about other things in life as well?
(laughs) No, I am not that assured about anything else in life except films. Like anybody else, I have my insecurities and doubts. Plus, I am so assured about cinema perhaps only because I don't want it as much. I guess when you don't want something desperately, you make the right choices. When you are too desperate for something, you tend to make mistakes.

Films is just a part of my life, I am not going to die as an actress. So, it is something I am going to go through for now. It's not like if I am not an actress, I will cease to exist or something. So that way, whether it's there or not, it's ok.
No comments :

No comments :

Post a Comment